Monday, February 8, 2010

To Be Traditional, Or Not To Be...

That is indeed the question. Here's the deal, I am getting married on February 20th of this year, 2010. I don't have my dress yet mostly because I haven't had the money, but also because I was hoping to lose weight before I get married. That didn't happen, haha. Not to say that I'm overweight, I just have some arm flab that I really don't want people to see.
Anyways, I need a dress, right? Well tonight I was discussing it a little bit with my Instructor for Advanced Fashion Illustration and Apparel Design Concept Development I. He told me not to do traditional wedding gown. He said that it does not fit my personality, which I agree with. I would also go so far as to say I would look pretty dumb in a puffy wedding dress. I have tattoos and piercings, 'nuff said. So now I'm stuck. What the hell am I going to do? I need something to wear. I have been contemplating checking out some boutiques in downtown Portland, where I go to school. Some "knowns" about what I want are:
  1. It has to be knee-length or close to it. I am not a glamorous woman, I don't think I could pull a gown off. But I also don't want to be slutty and go for a shorter dress (also I hate my thighs).
  2. It must be white or an off-white creamy color. I want to be traditional in at least one aspect.
  3. It has to be able to at least pass as a wedding dress.
Now, when I say that it has to pass as a wedding dress, I mean that is has to be at least somewhat... formal. I don't want to look like a slob and I don't want to look like I don't care. I just want to look nice, and good too!

Here is what I was originally going to go for:

It's pretty, and it's traditional. But it's so not "Natasha". What I want is kind of flirty, but lady-like. While also being "cool". Something like this:

From Dior's Spring 2010 couture line. (Photo courtesy of Style.com)

Can I find this dress? I do not know. I've found some adorable things on Etsy, but... yeah. I do not have time for someone to make me a wedding dress, haha.

Wish me luck! (I'll need it!)

3 comments:

  1. oh i can't wait to see what you find! wedding dress shopping is so tricky. make sure you get something that you will like when you look back at photos in 10, 20, 30 years....? i agree, best to have it fit your personality. it is a special once-in-a-life moment though so get something special. it's ok to wear something extravagant that you wouldn't normally wear (none of us wear full length dresses on a daily basis). hmmm... if only dior would just give you that dress in the photo... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should either have it be short and really classic looking or just a long light colored dress that fits your personality better. You should totally put up pictures when you finaly find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Style Crusader: Haha, if Dior gave me that outfit I think I'd shit myself. But thanks for your input! I'll keep that in mind.

    @Jojo: I will definitely put up pictures. :) We have two friends that are going to photograph the event, lol. I'd put up pictures right when get the dress, but my fiance might see them. :P

    ReplyDelete