Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Forever? My Ass.

I feel the need to post an entry about the cheap-designer-knock-off superstore, Forever 21. I know that Forever 21 is pretty popular among people of, really, all financial backgrounds. I struggle financially, so I'd be lying if I didn't own a few Forever 21 items. However how many times have I worn each of those items? Once. Maybe twice.
Now, I have to confess, I would LOVE Forever 21 if it weren't for the quality. As much as it pains me to say so. I consider myself a pretty talented beginning designer, so how could I even condone Forever 21, which has been sued multiple times for copying well-known designers?
Strapless Rosette Dress
$29.80

I CAN AFFORD FOREVER 21. But on the other hand, perhaps it would be cheaper to buy a $400 dress and wear it a million times, rather than a $30 dress that you would wear once before it began ripping at the seams. I suppose it also depends on how fashion fickle you are. I can't afford to be fickle, haha. So I'm not. But despite that, why do I find myself wishing I weren't too embarrassed to go inside each time I pass the windows in the mall? I guess it would be because I am tacky. I'm cheap at heart, but I feel like I can't let anyone know I'm THAT cheap. It's easy to get away with a Forever 21 piece once you've got it, and no one can see the tag. But those stores have clear windows. What if... what if someone were to see me inside? The horror!


By the way, I am fully aware of how dumb that is. I try to tell myself that I'm not influenced by the people around me, but I so am. It's the need to be accepted as a professional, I think. I want to be a respected designer, not someone who shops at Forever 21. And yet I know respected designers (one of which who interned with Betsey Johnson) who shop at Forever 21 for little knock-offs. Things like necklaces. They're embarrassed by it too, but it makes me feel a bit better that I'm not the only one.Posh Stiletto Heel
$20.80

Ornate Three Strand Necklace
$9.80

4 comments:

  1. As I live in England the only time I've experienced F21 was when I went to America and I was so in love with it. But recently ive been hearing how badly they treat their staff and I am appalled. I agree, it's totally unacceptable and leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the brand.

    Merci beaucoup for your wonderful comment on my blog, I’m so glad you enjoyed reading it half as much as I did writing it and I absolutely loved hearing your opinion. Its comments from lovelies like yourself that make blogging worthwhile. I love your blog and I hope you visit mine again soon =]

    Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
    English Rose x
    http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! -blush-.
    Forever 21 has indeed gotten in trouble for overworking their staff and things like that. It's pretty sad. But last I heard they had changed that. But it left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress and heels!!!


    http://fashionismysoulmate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete