Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Celebrities Are So Last Year.

So Marc Jacobs has decided that he wants no celebrities at his shows this year. I support this because honestly, I don't think a lot of celebrities deserve to be there. Fashion shows are not about the attendees. The are about the fashion. Holy shit, right?
My only concern here is that Marc is doing this for publicity. I mean, Marc was a credible designer before Louis Vuitton, but it's the brand that really got him up to the household fashion name that he is today. Before Louis Vuitton, Marc was just a designer that a lot of people didn't get, because he was really into the whole grunge scene.
One of my Instructors used to work with Marc Jacobs and Tom Ford before Marc took over Louis Vuitton in New York, and he said that Marc was normal, and just was not all that into what other people thought, I guess. And we were talking about him with the whole anti-celeb thing, and my Instructor was like "He just needs to get out of that whole celebrity lime-light thing and work on what he's doing." This is not an exact quote, just my interpretation of it.
But, like I said, I'm all for it. And if Marc is being sincere in what he's doing, then I say more power to him. Because I, for one, am tired of celebrities thinking that just because they have the money to start a line, they can do it.

7 comments:

  1. ah i so agree! nice blog!!

    http://littlevoguette.blogspot.com/
    im new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree about celebs being able to start a fashion line just because they have the means, but not the talent! its kind of insulting and moreover embarrassing for them. very interesting post, really enjoyed reading it!

    xx
    come visit me!
    http://nineteen-candles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebrities kind of ruin fashion, in my opinion. Just look at Lindsey Lohan (shudder). Some of the most important and divine fashion icons in history were not really celebrities. Just look at Edie Sedgwick and Talitha Getty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks. i follow you toooo honey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definetly agree, but I dont believe marc is doing this for publicity because theres so many other things he could for publicity.

    Good post, love your blog.

    -Domino
    http://domino-fashionprodigy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feedback, everyone! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspected that it was all a publicity stunt but, hey! At least its a good rule. ;)
    I couldn't agree more with the idea though, fashion shows have recently become more about whether Paris Hilton attended or not and the clothes weren't the focal point anymore. So it a good thing that Marc has decided upon no celebs for his shows, I hope more designers follow his lead.
    Great post! :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete